It made sense. The 23rd Bob Dooley Invitational was scheduled for June 24 so I’d take a week of vacation to get ready for it.
But Mother Nature gave me a not-so-fast.
Meadowbrook Golf Course, as many of you know, does not handle torrential rain well. It certainly doesn’t handle daily torrential downpours well. Nor does it handle water being pumped from other flooded areas well.
So parts of the course has been under water despite the best efforts of owner Chris Marcum. He and I have been talking daily and I’ve been to the course a dozen times.
On Monday, with the rain pouring down again, we decided to postpone. The new date will be July 29. And we’re crossing our fingers for a normal July instead of a ridiculous June.
The good news is that the front nine should be open soon. But we need two nines, so we’ll wait and see.
People have asked me about other courses, but in each case there is a reason why they would not work.
So we’ll hope for the best. If we can’t go July 29, we’ll probably postpone for a year and return to Ironwood, which is closed for the summer while its fairways are being redone.
The good news — if we have to do that, we’ve already got most of the prizes we’d need and everybody is paid up. The bad news — we wouldn’t be able to give the usual amount to Stop Children’s Cancer.
But if worst comes to worst, we’ll have a big party and auction off anything that has an expiration date.
It’s been a rough two weeks.
I know it will get better.