Those of you who check out my Sunday Blog during football season may have wondered why I don’t do the same during basketball season. So did I. So, hoops, there it is.
- I wondered how far Florida would fall in RPI after that bad loss to Vanderbilt and it wasn’t all that bad. The Gators were 11th on Sunday morning while Vandy jumped up from 83rd to 57th with its road win. Florida could use a sweep this week on the road just to add road wins even though Oklahoma (RPI 118) and LSU (128) aren’t going to help in those rankings. The Gators just need to feel what it’s like to win against after two straight numbing losses.
- Wow, I feel for Mark Fox. The way his game ended against Texas A&M simply points out there are bad rules that need to be changed. If you don’t know, Georgia had the ball for the last shot down one but the clocked stopped accidentally at 5.6. Georgia worked the ball inside to Yante Maten, who was fouled. When the officials checked the monitors and timed it, the game was declared over. They should just have played that 5.6 seconds over again, but that’s not the rule. It’s a bad rule. Then again, Georgia blew a nine-point lead with two minutes to play.
- Did you get a chance to watch the Arizona-UCLA game? Oh my, that’s what college basketball is supposed to look like, not these foul fests we have in the SEC. Arizona got Allonzo Trier back from suspension and you could see what a difference he makes. I wouldn’t be surprised to see both of those teams in the Final Four.
- Under the radar, we had our first 50-point game since 2013 Saturday when Marcus Keene, who leads the nation in scoring, popped in 50 for Central Michigan against Miami of Ohio. Four to watch this week:
* Kansas at West Virginia, Tuesday, 7 p.m.
* Virginia at Notre Dame, Tuesday, 8 p.m.
* Xavier at Cincinnati, Thursday, 7 p.m.
* Kansas at Kentucky, Saturday, 6:15 p.m.