Man, I get what the guys who cover baseball feel during a season. Just going on the road for two straight weekends has me worn out.
But certainly these two road trips were filled with fun, especially for the Gator fans who made the trips. Knoxville, and I can’t stress this enough, is absolutely stunned this morning as I write this that Florida whipped their Vols.
What is set up this weekend is the perfect Saturday — get done early and hit the Dooley Dome for some great games and salmon burgers. At least that’s the plan.
COLLEGE FOOTBALL TOP 25
1. Alabama: There are beatdowns and then there are beatdowns.
2. LSU: Next up for the Tigers — the struggling Chi-Zooks.
3. Oregon: It will be nice to see the Ducks play a real team eventually.
4. Oklahoma: Sooners had the door creep open a bit with USC loss.
5. Georgia: Dogs recovered from a slow start against a bad team.
6. West Virginia: Geno Smith has a real shot at the Heisman Trophy.
7. FSU: We’ll know a lot more about the Semis this week.
8. South Carolina: Congrats to the head ball coach for his 200th win.
9. Clemson: Don’t like the defense, but love the offense.
10. Ohio State: I don’t think this will last, but Urban Meyer finds a way to win.
11. Notre Dame: The Irish may not be back but they are closer than they’ve been in awhile.
12. Kansas State: A struggle for a bit, but Wildcats keep winning.
13. Texas: Longhorns were unstoppable vs. Ole Miss.
14. Stanford: Tennessee fans love Stanford this week.
15. Florida: Really impressive start for the mighty Gators.
16. Arizona: Suddenly, winning the Pac-12 looks realistic.
17. USC: Is this a pattern with the Lane Kiffin Trojans, to lose a game that surprises you?
18. UCLA: Give Jim Mora a lot of credit.
19. Louisville: Charlie Strong get a little tight late on Saturday?
20. Oregon State: Again, why not?
21. Michigan State: Yikes, my national title game pick is in the toilet.
22. Oklahoma State: Cowboys bounced back nicely.
23. Virginia Tech: I can’t explain that loss to the Panthers.
24. Tennessee: Vols’ defense will be an issue all year.
25. Michigan: Wolverines have yet to show me a lot.
1. It was interesting to hear Will Muschamp mock his decision to try a fake punt, but it actually was a good call that would have worked if Matt Elam hadn’t stumbled. The key, as Muschamp pointed out, was that Florida held Tennessee to a three-and-out after the fake punt. I don’t want to jinx Muschamp, but after watching those dropped Tennessee passes I think the Zookluck is off him.
2. The next time GameDay wants to go to Knoxville, the people at Tennessee might want to borrow a line from Lee Corso. “Not so fast, my friend.” UT is now 2-6 when ESPN comes to town with its traveling talking heads. After watching the Vols up close, I think they are better than they were a year ago. But they still have issues on defense, especially in the speed department, and if you can make them one-dimensional and put some heat on Tyler Bray he struggles.
3. There has to be some major heat on Kentucky’s Joker Phillips, who is 0-2 against the state this season. You have to think that Kentucky is looking at a three or four-win season at best. I wonder if Kentucky might want to act quickly — say midway through the season — so it can have a head start on Bobby Petrino.
4. I don’t care who is injured, a former top-10 team cannot lose to anybody 52-0. Arkansas is embarrassed and it’s pretty obvious that John L. Smith is not the answer to any questions unless they involve bankruptcy. This could end up as ugly as that Alabama 2000 season when Mike Dubose was talking national title and ended up 3-8. Except Arky at least has some excuses.